I have long thought to try to make this keto white bread I found on a Danish blog. Long live laziness, and all that jazz. What stopped me was the fact that it contains 9 !!! eggs, of which 6 of them only egg whites. I mean, in addition to 250 g (about 9 oz) of shredded cheese, this calls for a rather expensive bread! The other day I found egg whites in a bottle, problem solved!
I baked two loafs, one after the original recipe (depicted with poppy seeds). It is, as the recipe promises, incredibly good! Crispy crust and quite similar texture to real homemade white bread. However, I found it to have just a tad bit too much almond flavor than I prefer, and is somewhat “compact”.
I decided to do some experimenting with the dough, and it resulted in a keto white bread which is more airy than the original, and has a slightly more “rustic” taste to it. A bit more like a “fancy bread from the bakery” feel to it. Both versions tastes heavenly, but I must honestly say that my taste buds prefered our version of the keto white bread.
You will find the original recipe here and our version below. Fat reduced sesame and almond flour have super fine grounded texture and are both unique flours made in Scandinavia. A very versatile product that I highly recommend! Try our Easy Low Carb Naan – recipe that also contains fat reduced sesame flour! If available in your country I suggest using Pofiber from Semper istead of oat fiber.
- 6 eggwhites (1,5 deciliter or 0,65 cups egg whites)
- 3 whole eggs
- 40 g (1/2 cup or 1.4 oz) fat reduced sesame flour og half and half with fat reduced almond flour (see link above)
- 40 g ((1/2 cup or 1.4 oz) oat fiber (or Pofiber from Semper)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp himalayan salt
- 2 tbs finely ground physillum husk powder
- 250 grams (9 oz) neutral tasting shredded cheese (like mozzarella or other white cheeses)
- Preheat oven to 175℃ (350℉) fan heat program.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl.
- Pulse the shredded cheese to crumbs in a blender or food processor.
- Add eggs, egg whites, apple cider vinegar and cheese to the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a firm dough.
- Scrape the edges of the bowl and bring the dough to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Shape the bread with wet hands, give it an egg wash and sprinkle on seeds or some sesame/almond flour for dusty look. Use a knife to make 5- 6 "cracks" on top.
- Bake for 60 - 65 minutes on mid shelf. Keep a close eye on the bread for the least 10 - 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack.